Dunbar Rotary President Tom Badger and myself!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Dunbar Rotary Club


Tonight I spoke at my 'host' Rotary club in Dunbar. What a fantastic group of people! Tonight was the monthly 'spouse' night, where members are allowed to bring their significant others, so there was quite a large group. In addition, Lindsey Fyfe accompanied me (the other Ambassadorial Scholar hosted by the Dunbar club). Lindsey is from Los Angeles and studying at the Edinburgh College of Art. She is indeed quite a talented young lady (but then again, I suppose most Rotary scholars are...or rather 'talented young persons', since all of us aren't ladies--sorry William!) She was just commissioned to design a Christmas postcard by the City of Edinburgh--for which she selected the 'Heart of Midlothian' as her subject. Lindsey gave a brief talk to the club before I went on about the project and why chose chose the subject she did. So impressive!



My talk went well (but then again, it's hard not to do well when you have a group of 30 people who are there to see you succeed and cheer you on no matter how awful of a speech you give!) Unfortunately, the projector was not compatible with a Mac, so I was not able to show my slide show. Thus, I improvised!! I discussed where I'm from, some of the projects my host Rotary district is involved in, how I became interested in the scholarship, and what I plan to do with it while in Edinburgh and after. The Rotarians couldn't have been more supportive of my ideas and thanked Lindsey and I both for our presentations.

What can I say, my host club is fabulous!!

1 comment:

  1. haha, thanks for the shout out, maggie!
    It was a pleasure to hear your presentation, and fun to take the train with u!

    here's to more adventures in scotland 2010 !!

    ReplyDelete