Dunbar Rotary President Tom Badger and myself!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009





So today is my first full day in Edinburgh—and also first time being on the University’s campus. What a fantastic city! Not having visited for so long, I had forgotten how much the city captivates me. The architecture on the old buildings is reminiscent of medieval times. I can only imagine the city minus all of the cars, streetlights, and other modern-day amenities—sitting in all her glory as the capital of ancient Scotland.

I checked into my accommodation this morning. After the strenuous traveling experience from Sunday-Monday (delayed flight from Philly, missed connection to Edinburgh, 6 hour layover in Heathrow, no sleep for 36 hours…), I was in no mood to move in last night. My room is more than adequate. Yet, I have to say that the bed is a bit small. In fact, it's really skinny and very short. I am not sure who exactly it is made for, but it's certainly not me. I am beginning to realize my height is an anomaly here though. When I was walking around campus today, people looked at me as if I had 6 heads. I could tell much of it was because of my height because they would look at me, look down to see if I was wearing heels, and look me up again. As I stood in the Matriculation line to register, I do admit I was the 4th tallest in a room of over 100.

I have also met my host counselors from Rotary. I don’t even know where to begin. What WONDERFUL WONDERFUL people! Their names are Thelma and John Band and they are both retired. Technically, Thelma is my host counselor and John is not a member of Rotary. However, he has been just as supportive as she, so I am making him my honorary host counselor. They remind me of people I know, but I cannot quite place my finger on who.

Interesting/horrifying experience this afternoon: went to a meeting for what I thought was a meeting for all postgrads in the School of Social and Political Science. The meeting immediately began covering different aspects of research expectations of a postgrad/PhD student and in essence translated to me as: "Your next few years (or year) is going to be terribly unfortunate, as you will probably live in the library and morph into a book before you make it out of here." Terror struck through me and I thought about calling one of you to come pick me up IMMEDIATELY, as I surely didn't want to die a long slow death in the library. After all, I'm doing a Taught PG programme! Not a degree by research! Right?! I began thinking that perhaps I accidentally ticked the wrong box on my application, declaring that I had full intentions to go on to a PhD-but quickly reminded myself I couldn't have been that stupid...could I have??!

Thankfully, my fears were alleviated after a brief 45 minutes when I approached the SPS Director explaining I surely had to be in the wrong place. And I was. My vision slowly returned and I regained feeling in all of my extremities. I know this may sound a bit dramatic, but you must understand the HUGE difference between as Taught degree and a degree by research. Degrees by research require much MUCH more careful pre-planning, prep work, and preconceived ideas of what you want to research and write your dissertation/thesis on. Had I chosen this route (vs the Taught route), I would have needed to begin preparing MONTHS ago-and had a sponsor for my research and detailed intentions on what kind of research I was planning to do and how I was going to do it (funding, etc.)

Again, insert: MASSIVE SIGH of relief.

Random observations/questions I have made throughout my first day:

1. The UK seems to be slightly confused about how floors are ordered in a building: apparently they call what we call the first floor, the "ground" floor-which subsequently makes the 2nd floor the 1st floor, and so on. VERY confusing when trying to find your flat and you are not aware of this. I might have been relatively sure my room did not exist.

2. I wonder how my spelling in my papers will be assessed. Will I be required to write "programme" or will "program" do? Is it "color" or "colour?"

3. Drinking really IS a very very daily activity here. I saw drunk people out around town at 4pm. It must be the world renowned single malt scotch.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I missed your call! I didn't recognize the number so I didn't answer. I am free to talk now but I tried calling the number back and it didn't work and I don't even think I have international service on my phone, so call me back!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete